Statement of Commitment to Gender Diversity
Our commitment to supporting the strength of our communities is rooted in the Association’s long-standing engagement in social justice.
Over the last several years, we have introduced policies intended to reflect an emerging understanding of gender identities and gender inclusion throughout our Association.
YWCA Toronto strives to uphold anti-discrimination practices to ensure that the rights of all individuals are respected and protected. YWCA Toronto works to promote an environment that is welcoming of all women and individuals who identify as trans, intersex, non-binary, agender, and/or Two-Spirit.
• Respect each person’s pronouns, privacy and right to confidentiality;
• Invite participants, residents and staff to self-identify their gender and pronouns at intake or hiring, and this will not be revisited except at the request of the individual;
• Provide access to all gender washrooms at our sites where possible, and support participants and staff to use the washrooms of their choice;
• Investigate all reports of discrimination on the basis of gender identity and expression;
• Provide ongoing gender diversity training to all staff;
• Not discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression in providing compensation and benefits for all staff;
• Continue to examine our policy as an exercise of values examination, which informs our commitment to our vision and our mission.
To read the full text of the Gender Identity Policy, please email Julia Horel, Manager of the Executive Office and Administration.