YWCA English Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC), offers no-cost English classes to women. English language instruction enables newcomers to fully contribute to life in Canada.
What does this program offer?
- enhanced language training
- friendly classes where women learn language needed in everyday life to help with tasks from renting an apartment to buying groceries
- preparation to enter colleges and universities, other learning trainings
- qualified and experienced Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) instructors
- guest speakers and social events
- computer-based language training
- English conversation circles and exercises
- skills development for life in Canada
- pragmatics for higher levels
- full-time and part-time classes
- English testing to make sure students are placed in the right class
- TTC fare for eligible participants
Who is this program for?
- newcomer women 18 years and over who speak little or no English
- permanent residents
- convention refugees and protected persons
We offer spaces for children six months to six years of age and the program is monitored by CMAS. Our Care for Newcomer Children Educators understand the settlement challenges of newcomer children and provide families the support they need.
Schedule of classes
Levels 0-3 Monday to Friday 9am-noon
Levels 3-6 Monday to Friday 9am-2:30pm
Students may join at any time. An assessment test at a YMCA Language Assessment and Referral Centre must be completed prior to enrolling in a LINC course. To book an assessment appointment, please contact us in person at 222 Dixon Road, Suite 205 (at Islington Avenue).
Who do I contact?
Beverly Justin, YWCA Toronto LINC Coordinator