YWCA Beatrice House is a residential program and an early childhood development centre for women and children who are homeless and at-risk of homelessness. Up to 27 families at a time make their home at Beatrice House. During women's stay they have support and opportunity to set goals and move towards achieving them.
Beatrice House was started in 1995 by Brenda Northey. She gathered together a group of concerned community members to create a residential family education centre for homeless single mothers and their children. It was the first integrated model in Canada. In 2000, Brenda left and under Dr. Fraser Mustard’s leadership, a well-known expert in the field, the organization became an integrated residential and early childhood development program.
To learn more, watch our video showcasing Beatrice House's services, supports, and community impact. The video features staff, residents and former residents of Beatrice House.
What does this program offer?
A place to live:
- private, furnished, family room, each with bathroom
- nutritious meals served seven days a week in central dining room
- options for women to cook their own meals
- air-conditioned rooms
- kitchenette and lounge on each floor
- coin-operated laundry
- communal space indoors and outdoors
- community garden
A place to thrive:
- women commit to participating in the Beatrice House program
- one-on-one support to help women set goals, plan and overcome challenges
- workshops on health, budgeting, problem solving and conflict resolution
- programs to help improve family relationships
- on-site parenting workshops and employment programs
- academic bridging program with York University
- fun activities for mothers and children
- help to find permanent housing and community resources
- ongoing support up to 18 months after women leave Beatrice House
- current languages spoken by staff: English, French, Spanish, Swahili, Croatian
Who is this program for?
- women with children who are homeless or at-risk of being homeless
Who do I contact?
Jeani Best, Community Housing Outreach Worker